Foothill Art: Notan Project
“notan” from the Japanese word that means “dark light harmony”.
Each student will work with shape to create striking designs. Use of positive and negative space creates shapes. Designs are cut from a square piece of black paper. Using the white paper background and black piece, each student needs to create a visually balanced design.
- Designs will be drawn with pencil on the black paper.
- Drawn on side will go face-down.
- Show finished design to the instructor before cutting.
- Cut out pieces. Cut out should be done with X-Acto knives.
- Design should be made up mostly of medium and small pieces.
- Glue down.